Friday, May 13, 2011

Shots are no fun

Yesterday I made my way down to Duke Medical to visit a highly recommended knee doctor.  I have very, very bad knees you see.  I'm not able to build up muscle in my quad and thereby re-locate my knee cap to it's rightful position because the pain level is too high...it's a vicious cycle of pain and weakness. 

Anyway, long story short, I'm supposed to get cortizone shots in my knee.  This is my analogy when I think about that: corizone shots=relief from pain for old people people older than me.  Sorry Bama!  I think decrepid arthritis. 

Well, I'm not a shot person.  In all actuality, I, for lack of better words, freak out.  The nurse had me lie down, but I kept peeking my head up as she was explaining what she was doing to me.  Then she froze my knee where the needle was going to go.  Now, I don't know what other doctors use, but I highly suggest whatever this was because it worked really well.  I'm talking immediate freezing satisfaction.  Last time I was told that I was going to be numbed before my IV went in my hand (mono..yuck), she injected me with a needle that released a numbing medication!  Seemed rather redundant and horrible to me. 

Anyway, she jabbed poked the needle in my leg.  It wasn't so bad...until she pushed it under my knee cap.  I'm 99.9% sure I yelled out profanity and gripped the table more than anyone else had before me.  And I know I didn't breathe through the process.  Yuck.  But it was over soon enough and she put a nice band-aid over my wound. 

I won't bore you with any of the other stuff that went on, this blog was just to chronicle a horribly painful event in my life that in 2 months I will be returning to get again.  Barf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...